One of the buildings included in the National Register of Historic Places is the Norfolk & Western Railway Depot. The depot was built in 1904 to handle passenger traffic. Passenger traffic peaked after World War II and started to decline in the 1950's until passenger service at Marion ended in 1971. The depot, renovated in 1994, now houses local businesses.
Click on my photos below to see them in high resolution on Flickr. You can view the photos in high resolution by clicking here!
Restored front of the railway depot.
One of the original baggage carts at the depot c 1904
The Colonial Revival-style original Marion US Post Office building was built in 1935. Louis A. Simon was the Architect and Neil A. Melick was the supervising engineer. The old post office is now a Macado's Restaurant.
The building below was built in 1930. Previously, it was the Donnelly Furniture Company. It now houses the Blue Ridge Title & Settlement Agency.
Blue Ridge Title & Settlement Agency c 1930
Iron Street Mall c 1835
The Lincoln Theatre was built in 1929 by Charles C. Lincoln, Sr., his son Charles C. Lincoln, Jr. and John D. Lincoln. When it opened on July 1st, 1,000 people packed the theater to watch a silent movie called "Close Harmony" starring Buddy Rogers and Nancy Carroll.
Artists who appeared in person at the theater include Roy Rogers (and Trigger), Dale Evans, Lash LaRue, Randolf Scott, Sunset Carson, Hopalong Cassidy, Tom Mix, The Lone Ranger and Gabbey Hayes. Country music stars Minnie Pearl, Earnest Tubb, Del Wood, Roy Acuff, June Carter Cash, The Stanley Brothers, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Stringbean, Little Jimmie Dickens, and Grandpa Jones also appeared at the Lincoln.
The Lincoln closed in 1973. It opened briefly in the 1970's, but closed in 1977 due to poor ticket sales. The theater was later preserved, then renovated. It reopened on May 16th, 2004 with a performance by Riders In The Sky.
The Lincoln Theatre c 1929
The Beaux-Arts-style Smyth County Courthouse was designed by architect Frank P. Milburn and built in 1905 by Stephenson and Getoz of Knoxville at a cost of $50,000. Originally, the courthouse included an auditorium for public performances and meetings called "Court Square Theater." It was replaced with office space during remodeling in the 1950's.
Confederate Memorial c 1903
Flags flying in front of Smyth County Courthouse on July 4th, 2014
The building below is one of the oldest brick commercial buildings still existing in Marion. It was built in 1891.
The Classical-Revival style Hotel Lincoln was built in 1927 as the Francis Marion Hotel. The hotel was built by Charles Clarke Lincoln, Sr. and Dr. William M. Sclater. The boutique hotel reopened in 2006 after two years of renovation and restoration by the new owners Joe and Susie Ellis. The hotel is also home to the Black Rooster Restaurant & Lounge.
The Francis Marion Hotel c 1927
Veterans memorabilia on display in a store window on Main St.
The Dip Dog Stand c 1957
The Colonial-Revival style Municipal Building was built with WPA funding in 1936.
Marion Municipal Building - c 1936
You can view the entire set in high resolution by clicking here!