Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Apalachicola

Went into Apalachicola yesterday to explore a little and to hit the local IGA.  We love IGA's by the way.  Nice little, but not too little grocery stores.  Love the town.  Great food.  Particularly the oysters!  Some shopping.  Lots of old homes.  Pretty streets.  Palm trees.  River town.


 Brown Pelican coming in for a landing.

A fisherman saw me panning my camera, taking photos of Pelicans diving for fish.  They do not do it very gracefully.  I was having trouble catching the moment of impact.  So he offered to help me and threw in one of the fish he caught.  The Pelican started his descent close to me.  I caught him watching me.


A Palm tree at Chapman Botanical Garden

The Chapman Botanical Garden is relatively new and smallish.  But quite nice for a short visit and some respite from a busy day.  BTW, we love the Palm trees in Florida.  They grow like weeds and are as common as Oaks and Pines in Virginia.


Fishermen Seining

On our travels through the area around Apalachicola, we have seen a lot of fishermen seining for fish in the Gulf of Mexico as well as in the swamps and bayous.


Orman House

The Orman house was built in 1838 by Thomas Orman.  It overlooks the Apalachicola River and is adjacent to the Chapman Botanical Garden.  Both properties are managed by the state as a single park.


The sunsets have been beautiful this week!

You can see more of my Apalachicola photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauldiming/sets/72157630759173884/

No comments:

Post a Comment